The challenge for me was : Can mommy make this poster without eating ALL of the oreos?
The challenge for 5 year old little P was to attempt the following:
- Draw the earth. include North and South America as well as the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans
- Prepare the oreos in relation to the pinterest page we found here: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/257620041158627386/ (this involved leaving one whole, and scraping off various amounts of filling for the rest, cracking off pieces of the chocolate cookies, etc)
- Place around the earth by looking at the pinterest picture and placing in the proper places. (P did these three above steps with minimal direction and lots of positive motivation)
- Discuss opposites as they are discovered (led by mommy)
- Add vocabulary words to our repertoire: waxing, waning, gibbous (new word introduction led by mommy; we knew the words new, full, moon, third, first, and quarter, though not necessarily in this context)
- Practice and point a few times. (led by mommy)
- EAT THE EVIDENCE WHEN COMPLETED.
- After a short break with a full tummy, return to draw each of these moons on the page so you can keep a poster with your work. :) We are on that step right now.
Plus we are doing a SPACE theme at camp this coming week where little P is in my classroom with me. See, below, a picture of one of our rocket posters, and our BLAST OFF counting poster for a movement activity we will do this week. Not pictured, we also added planet, astronaut, and space rock manipulatives to the sand table. wheeeeeee- such fun!!